New Writing Program

We had the first meeting yesterday with students and faculty to talk about the new writing and communications program. This is one very important initiative, both from faculty and students, to develop a new writing/comm program. Finally! We can make something happen!

It was really disheartening to see the appendix with all of our peer institutions – every single one (out of 13 schools) had a well-established writing center and had 2-3 communication classes that were a part of everyone’s curriculum. And Rice doesn’t have any of that!!! Now, we are trying to gather feedback on how to make this program unique to Rice and really outstanding. Let me know if you have any thoughts on specific classes we should offer, skills that students should know, or ways to incorporate this with the colleges or Fellows program.

Other fun facts from the past few days:
– I found out I am giving a Senior Toast (?!) next week. Yay? I’ll try to make it funny…
– Concerts are SO EXPENSIVE. We have $1 million from ALFA funds, but it’s not even close to being enough!! Lady Gaga costs $250,000 per concert. Wow.
– Dean Hutch plays the guitar and sings. I say we need a Concert with HUtch and Guitar [CHUG].

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous. Bookmark the permalink.