Commencement!

What a wonderful day!! The graduating class of 2011 got to walk the stage today, and it was the perfect ceremony for the perfect day! As President Leebron pointed out, the weather was absolutely wonderful, so we were all very lucky to enjoy such a great day.

As SA President, they asked me to be a “Wreath Bearer.” I wasn’t quite sure what that meant, but I showed up today at Fondren Library in my blue robe, and they brought us a large wreath to carry out to Willy’s Statue. Sumedh (GSA President) and I carried the wreath, along with a few other people behind us, and we walked out with the color guard to the statue (and tomb) of William Marsh Rice. After hanging the wreath, I got to make my way up to the front to first-row reserved seats – sweeeet!

Front row was awesome – I recommend sneaking up there next year if you get a chance, it’s the perfect place to hoop and holler for your favorite friends! I enjoyed the remarks by David Brooks (even though a few things I didn’t agree with) – he gave a very funny and interesting speech, and I think most of us enjoyed it. During the ceremony, the best college (of course) was Lovett, as the master, Matteo Pasquali, had a wonderfully pompous voice as he presented each student with pride and “took off his hat” to them (he was wearing his very funny pointed cap).

Overall, a great ceremony, and being up close I even saw a few people that looked like they weren’t wearing any clothes underneath…. Well, congratulations to the class of 2011, and I hope your Rice experience was one to remember for a lifetime!

This entry was posted in Rice Updates. Bookmark the permalink.